Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Days Like These


Everything is in full swing here at Liberty.

My planner looks like something belonging to the unibomber and my hand is constantly displaying a faded, layered muddle of Scripture verses to sustain the motivation.

I’m in room 2186 at DeMoss for my English 102 class and I’m supposed to be researching databases for articles on Hamlet.
Uh, riiiiiight.

I really wish I could just hand in the URL for my blog and be done with this whole English thing. I do love to write - just not about Greek and Shakespearean tragedy. Oedipus was enough to make me want to go insane and gorge my eyes out (isn’t there some irony in that?) and now another analysis on a crazy person is calling my name. Couldn’t I just write about the character's influence on the reader instead? That, I would do well on.

Yesterday was one of the longest days so far. I had convocation at ten, two classes back to back, an hour lunch break, two more classes back to back with choir practice immediately to follow, and then a half hour later I had rehearsal for my worship recital which lasted until 9:30. Oy vey. (I actually just wikepedia’d that, and turns out the ‘oy’ is actually Biblical Hebrew and ‘vey’ is German. It also turns out that I just made "wikapedia" a verb. Regardless, this will be good to know when someone asks you to spout off a random fact one of these days. It’ll happen - especially if you hang out at the clab after midnight.)


"I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So,
C H O O S E  L I F E
in order that you may live, you and your descendants,
by loving the LORD your God, by obeying his voice
and by holding fast to Him
for this is your life and the length of your days."
Deuteronomy 30:19-20

College encompasses many late nights, restless nights, no nights, early mornings, a lot of paper writing, and a ton of coffee. A ton. In other words, if you're in college, you're 9 chances out of 10 sleep deprived and running off of chik-fil-a and caffeine.

I can't say I'm quite adjusted to it all yet – I struggle with managing my time, staying organized, and staying on task (heh…), but this is my life and this is what today encompasses: a solo in choir, a 1,000 word character analysis on Hamlet, music theory homework, and a hall meeting from ten to eleven. With all of its complexities and irritation, it’s beautiful. There’s a muddle of Scripture verses, one layered on top of the other written on my hand, and it is this which gives me the strength, the joy, and the steadfastness to get through days like these.

Loving, obeying, and holding fast.

This is life: today and right now, and I’m choosing it, living it, continually... with HIM.


(...oh, have I told you that I'm going to Germany in nine days?!)
oy. vey.


-C

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! Hamlet is a great character. Isolate one of his characteristics that you relate to, then research it. Or, you could always write a paper on Hamlet and Ophelia... : ) I hope it goes well and it was good to see you! Sorry I was out of sorts when you said hello-I had just finished teaching for the day. Enjoy the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete